Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Thursday Selection from An Unassigned Life


Part of the deposition transcript:

Attorney Green: How do you account for your late-blooming writing talent?
Nick Kenyon: I always dreamed of becoming a writer.
AG: Really? Mrs. Kenyon didn’t mention your aspirations.
NK: Cynthia is an artist. I didn’t want her to think I wasn’t capable of supporting her in her work.
AG: So you are saying that you sublimated your talent in favor of supporting her?
NK: Spot on.
AG: How did you come up with the idea for Flooded?
NK: I dreamt about it.
AG: Dreams again. Where do you think these dreams came from?
NK: Timothy Chase.
AG: Are you saying you believe in ghosts, Mr. Kenyon?
NK: Yes, I do.
AG: How long have you believed in ghosts?
NK: About a year or so.
AG: Since you moved into the house where Mr. Chase died?
NK: Yes.
AG: Mr. Kenyon, isn’t your proclaimed belief in the paranormal just an elaborate ruse to cover the fact that you stole the outline for Mr. Chase’s last novel from his personal computer, which was in your possession for the entire time it took for you to write Flooded?
NK: Look…don’t you think at this point it would be better for my reputation to admit stealing the outline? If I had done it, I would willingly admit it. I’m even willing to give Tim posthumous credit on the novel, because I do believe Tim gave me the dreams. However, I’ve been told that doing so will ruin my career. All I can tell you is that I dreamt a series of dreams, from which I wrote Flooded. I never plugged in Tim’s personal computer and I’ve never seen the so-called outline. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Timothy Chase inspired the novel by invading my dreams.
AG: Is he still inspiring you? Will you be giving credit to Mr. Chase for your latest manuscript?
NK: No. My new manuscript is all mine.
AG: Thank you for your time, Mr. Kenyon.

To read more of this novel, visit Amazon.com or Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...