Wednesday, June 8, 2011

#Trust30: Afraid To Do

Today’s #Trust30 prompt is “What is too scary to write about?”

I won’t be posting my response on this blog. It’s too personal and too much “mine” for me to share.

But that does beg the question: how much of ourselves should we put onto the web for others to peruse?

My mother was reading the Facebook profiles of some people she knows and found one young woman who listed herself as “bisexual.” This shocked her enough that she asked me if I had read the same thing. I had, of course. In her opinion, this was a case of over-sharing. I wasn’t so quick to agree.

Sexual orientation has gone from something that was assumed to something that defines us. Most of my generation are sophisticated enough to at least mask our initial surprise when we discover someone is gay. I’d even go so far as to say that most of us aren’t surprised – we’ve learned enough of the code-words, signs, and behaviors to decide someone’s sexual orientation long before they have to tell us explicitly. In fact, most of us would be more shocked to find that someone we think is gay -- isn’t! Younger generations seem even more accepting.

So my question is, what’s left? What tidbits of ourselves do we hide from the rest of the world? And should we? 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...