Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today


Ten years ago, I was at the end of a bad marriage. The morning of 9/11, my estranged husband called to tell me the world was ending and that he wanted to be with me. My answer? “If the world is ending, I don’t want to be with you.”

I was two months shy of my thirtieth birthday then. As I watched the towers crumble, I remember thinking how little I had done with my life. I had worked corporate job after corporate job. I had even worked in skyscrapers for some of them, although not in New York, but Phoenix. How many of those people – the ones who were at that moment dying at their workplace – hated their jobs and dreamt of a different life?

I wish I could say I changed my life immediately – that I quit my job and cut my energy-draining ex-husband from my life forever. Instead, the changes were gradual, but permanent. I have never made another decision without thinking this:

If the world ended today, would I be happy with where I was and whom I was with?

*****

For more memories of that terrible day, visit Inknbeans.com.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...